{kirchoff travel diaries} hello 2019 and our trip home

Wednesday, January 23, 2019


After the late night that NYE was we once again slept in. I was the first one up and noticed how beautiful the weather was. I couldn't wait to get out and enjoy our last day here. Plus we were all a little extra excited because our Texas Longhorns were playing the in Sugar Bowl that evening.

Today was pretty much like the last few days...Cam and I took turns skiing with Amelia and the boys. Cameron and Aiden were major ski buddies. Both of them are fearless. Asher would join sometimes but then want to come back and ski with Amelia and I. 

My favorite video of Amelia skiing. 

We stayed out until around 3, came back and ate lunch then the boys packed all the ski gear to take back to the shop. It took awhile to defrost the car ;)

I finished our laundry, packed up the bags, made dinner and waited for them to get back. While waiting I decided to take some pics of our view from the balcony. 

The views were amazing and I was sad to leave. We watched the Longhorns and to our excitement they won! We were all on a high! 


We woke up early, packed the car, checked out and hit the road. After asking around we found a better route to take home and leavingNew Mexico was so much easier then coming to New Mexico. I remember thinking what a great and easy trip we were going to have on our way home. When we got to Amarillo we stopped to eat a late lunch and decided to take a different route home because Apple Maps said it would be faster. We got on the road and everything was smooth going. It's about an 11 hour drive but this kids were doing great so far. We had about 5 hours to go when the sun went down and we turned down a small two lane highway. Then it started to rain. Then the temperature dropped and before we knew it the roads were covered in ice and our windshield was frozen. Cameron couldn't see out of the window, we couldn't pull to the side of the road because of all the was the worst driving situation I've ever been in, in my life. I was terrified. I've never prayed so much in my life. About an hour into going 20 mph we pulled up to an accident. An 18 wheeler had flipped over dropping his load of steel pipes allover the road, blocking the road we were suppose to be on. The accident had just happened. Cameron pulled over and got out to check everything out and try to clean off our windshield. I looked up and saw him yelling "oh no, oh no!" and then heard a loud crash. Another 18 wheeler was coming up the road and couldn't stop because of the ice and almost hit our car but instead slammed into another 18 wheeler. Y'all it was insane. Cameron was like we have to get out of here, this is dangerous so we turned down another road and hoped that it would take us where we needed to go. Luckily it did. We spent 3 more hours driving in awful ice conditions going 20 mph. About an hour from home the temp finally got above freezing and we were out of the ice. I still feel scarred from this experience. It was so scary and there were times I just wasn't sure if we were going to make it home. Our 11 hour trip lasted 15 hours and we pulled into our driveway at 2am. I've never been so happy to be home.

Despite the not so ideal driving conditions we encountered we had an amazing trip. I love going skiing with my family and now that Amelia enjoys skiing every year is going to be more enjoyable :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan

Your copyright